Urban Life Hackathon powered by the European Space Agency
SAT – SUN, April 14-15, 2018
Are you a student, a developer, an engineer, a designer or simply a person curious about space and the way we can use ESA’s open data to improve our daily lives here on Earth? Then this hackathon is for you.
ARIES Transilvania with the support of the Municipality of Cluj-Napoca, Indeco Soft, AROBS Transilvania Software, and UTCN dare you to create an app, using European Space Agency satellite data, in order to map how the climate change is affecting certain domains in Romania.
For 24 hours, we invite you to meet, engage and connect. The hackathon is about trying new things, about experimentation and testing. With an endless supply of caffeine, snacks, fruits and pizza, you have everything you need to build a product in 24 hours.
The European Space Agency provides huge amounts of satellite data for free. Commercial data prices are also decreasing and sample imagery is available for testing solutions. Sentinels (1, 2, 3) of ESA’s Copernicus programme provide SAR, imagery and multi-spectral data that can be used for applications in precision agriculture, forestry, urban planning. Although free data is not yet frequent enough for consumer applications (data recurrence >6 days), urban planners, environmentalists, agronomists can use the data for improving their activity. Artists can design creative ways of using the data for representing different aspects of everyday life. Tourism agencies can use the data to make appealing maps. A common approach of geographers, biologists, artists and environmentalists, supported by ITC experts can help mitigate climate change, both via dissemination campaigns and awareness creating maps.
Develope a project related to climate change and urban life quality using Earth observation data, preferably in one of the following domains:
1. Identify green urban areas in Romania
2. Find changing landscape in Romania
3. Provide an artistic interpretation of climate change specific data (maps, presentations), that make scientific data more appealing or more impacting for the masses
4. Find ways to improve Urban Life quality using Earth Observation data
5. Create an artistic map of Romania or of your city focused on climate change
6. Create a synergy between Earth Observation Data and IoT devices (Raspberry Pi, Arduino)
7. Find a creative way to bring value using Earth Observation
Equipment and tools:
1. Any Windows/Linux PC is ok; SNAP or QGIS for local processing can be useful; can also be installed on site.
2. OpenLayers is recommended for displaying data; GDAL is required for processing; GDAL Libraries are available for Java, Python and C/C++.
3. SNAP is available on the ESA Website (http://step.esa.int/main/download/)
4. QGIS is available on their website. (https://www.qgis.org/en/site/)
Where can you find open data from the European Space Agency?
Other useful info:
Saturday, April 14th
09:30 – 10:00 – Coffee and registration
10:00 – 11:30 – Welcome and introduction / Event schedule / Challenges briefing & How to use ESA satellite data / Team forming
11:30 – 14:00 – Start Hacking (until Sunday, April 15, 15:00)
14:00 – 15:00 – Lunch Break (lunch provided)
15:00 – 15:45 – How to Pitch Workshop
15.45 – 21:00 – Continue hacking
19.30 – Pizza time
22:00 – End of Hacking Day
Sunday, April 15th
09:00 – 09:30 – Coffee and snacks (provided)
09:30 – 14:00 – More hacking
Snacks break (provided)
15:00 – 17:00 – Presentations
Accept the challenge and you can win
- 1st place: 1000 EUR
- 2nd place: 500 EUR
- 3rd place: 3D Virtual Reality Glasses for smartphones + VR Glasses Bluetooth controller
Mentors and Coaches:
EO Clim Lab Romania Team will offer you mentoring as follow-up for the hackathon in order to bring your project to life.
We will offer the possibility to one of the winning teams, support services and financing to start their own business with more than 40.000 EUR, financed by our project Partener StartUP.*
*In order to access the financial support, training, coaching and mentoring through PartenerStartUP project you need to be seriously involved, to believe in your idea as a real business and respect the participant conditions mentioned here http://partenerstartup.ro/inscrie-te/.
Online Event Management with the ticketing solution from XING Events